Dear Friends,

I have gathered a selection of my poetry from the last twenty-five years into a book called THE SEASONS. (You can preview or order the book here.)

I am grateful to everyone who has read and responded to the poems over the years. I will continue posting my new work here and in twenty-five years (or less) I will have book number two ready for you.

Warmly,

Kevin











The New Year



Detail of portico mural by J. Heineman


The feels like
is eleven below
and I’m out 
in my boxers
and slippers
under stars
helping the 
elderly poodle 
down porch steps.

The blossom 
of the universe
is petaled 
with fire
but I don’t 
feel that 
just now
as I wait 
for Lulu 
to 
     slowly 
                      pee.

Back in 
bed upstairs 
in our creaking 
house with
frosted windows
it’s a somnambulist
homesteader’s
square dance
as my family
annexes territory
with legs
and butts
and paws
reaching out 
in obtuse angles 
(Baby Willa’s by 
far the best)
until I’m relegated
to the northern 
edge of insomnia
where there’s
a dip  
a canyon
a spine 
bending gorge.

This then 
is where 
I contemplate
the nature 
of time

from this 
northern trench
at 3 A.M.
with one infant 
foot resting
on the back 
of my neck.

Lulu
bladder emptied
is happily 
wheezing
in the land
of Nod
and Jenny 
is silently floating
in a temporary sea 
of slumber.

Goodnight 
old year.
You could not 
have given me
one more day 
of love 
or sadness 
or joy.

I will remember
you with such
great fondness
at my death
when Time 
finally stops
and watches
me expand
then turns
and walks back 
into the disappearing 
woods.





















































.


No comments:

Post a Comment


the poetry of Kevin Lawler

The gift economy . . .
from Wiki - In anthropology and the social sciences, a gift economy is a mode of exchange where valuable goods and services are regularly given without any explicit agreement for immediate or future rewards. Ideally, voluntary and recurring gift exchange circulates and redistributes wealth throughout a community, and serves to build societal ties and obligations.


Follow