Dear Friends,

I have gathered a selection of my poetry from the last twenty-five years into a book called THE SEASONS. (You can preview or order the book here.)

I am grateful to everyone who has read and responded to the poems over the years. I will continue posting my new work here and in twenty-five years (or less) I will have book number two ready for you.

Warmly,

Kevin











Thicket





In April I watched my daughter
struggle to take her first breath of air

in May I watched my mother
struggle to take her last

all the while the spring rains
fell across the rolling earth.

Now it is August and the museum 
of days deepens into red.

My father eats dinner alone by the window
watching the northern clouds burn
as they sail into the night.

Remember swimming out
to the far dock for the first time?

If you grow too tired
you can float on your back and rest.

We are building a fort in the thicket
of love called family.

We are swimming out together
across the lake of time.




















































.



No comments:

Post a Comment


the poetry of Kevin Lawler

The gift economy . . .
from Wiki - In anthropology and the social sciences, a gift economy is a mode of exchange where valuable goods and services are regularly given without any explicit agreement for immediate or future rewards. Ideally, voluntary and recurring gift exchange circulates and redistributes wealth throughout a community, and serves to build societal ties and obligations.


Follow